Family Camping Vacation Ideas: Part 1
When summer is here and the kids are out of school, it is time to think about your next family vacation! Why not try something new and go camping? Family camping vacations are one of the most popular choices for Americans, who spent in total 534.9 million days camping in 2011 alone.
People who already understand about the joys of camping cite many reasons why it makes for a great vacation. A full 87% went to participate in outdoor activities, 13% went on a family camping vacation to spend more time with their families, and 99% of all campers enjoyed themselves so much on their family vacation that they planned on going back to camp the following year.
Camping in an outdoor camp resort is also a great way to get your children involved in nature. Need some inspiration for your next camping trip? Read on for some family friendly, kid-approved games and activities!
Your kids enjoy making sandcastles at the beach, so why not make some out of twigs they collect all around your campsite? Because you may have some difficulty keeping the sticks together, make sure to bring some glue, string, and scissors along.
Stories around the campfire
This old classic is a tried and true favorite. The stories can range from childhood laughs, to scary ghost stories. You can even have the group collaborate on a story: one person starts, then the next person contributes a sentence, and so on and so forth.
Scavenger hunt with a nature walk
- Mix two activities into one! Go on a nature walk or hike and have a list of things to find. Some ideas include:
- A heart shaped leaf
- A feather
- A pinecone
- Something a raccoon would like to eat
- Something of every color of the rainbow
- Something fuzzy
- Something that makes noise
- Two pieces of garbage (to throw out)
- A piece of treasure
- Whoever gets the most on the list wins a prize!
- Make houses for homeless fairies! Collect wood, twigs, rocks, and feathers for your construction materials, and place a little door next to a tree trunk, to let the fairy know she is welcome there! Remember to make it as beautiful as you can, because fairies are picky and only deserve the best. Keep your eye out for our family vacation ideas: Part 2!