Did you know that, much like cats, raccoon purr when they feel safe and content? Hopefully if you go camping, you won’t necessarily be finding out whether this fact is true or not. Camping, it can be said, is one of the great American pastimes, and about 40 million people in the U.S. choose to go camping each year. Not only can it be a great way to relax with friends and family, but it’s also a fairly affordable vacation option. If you are thinking of going camping this year? Here are several facts you should keep in mind.
- Never, or rarely, been camping before? No problem. There are, however, some lessons you’d probably rather not learn the hard way. One lesson is to always properly secure your trash — and do so away from where you’re sleeping so that if animals do come, they won’t be trampling through your things. The idea of raccoons purring might be cute in theory, but it’s less cute if they’re purring contentedly after raiding your s’mores stash.
- Find recipes for fun campfire foods. Don’t just stick to hot dogs — try out something new! There are many neat, easy recipes that use tinfoil or fruit as a ‘bowl” to cook various savories and desserts. Check out “banana boats” for one yummy example.
- Have more to start the fire than just a lighter. You won’t always be lucky enough to have very dry wood and a no-wind day, and many people find out the hard way that a box of matches and a few sticks aren’t enough to build a fire. Newspaper and lighter fluid are good to have.
Where Should You Go? You can either find a park nearby, or take this as an opportunity for a road trip and see what’s out there. Camping in Colorado comes highly rated by several camping experts who cite its beautiful mountains, and national parks.
- If you’re in the north, try camping in Ohio. There are many campgrounds open year long.
- RV camping is fairly popular, and an alternative to having to pitch up a tent. If you don’t own an RV, you can rent one. RV campgrounds can be a good choice, and are specifically set up to accommodate RVs.
- Not surprisingly, our park campgrounds offers, water features, great accommodations and so much more! It helps to plan your budget, and enjoy your stay with no concerns!
Have you gone camping in Ohio or anywhere else? Let us know in the comments.