Title: Recreation Director
FLSA Status: Exempt or Non Exempt (choose for your particular position)
Reports To: General Manager
You will be responsible for planning and implementing events/activities for all age ranges, including family activities for a top-rated Jellystone Park. Activities and events should be planned seven days a week during our main season. You will also be responsible for promoting the Yogi Bear character and themes through your schedule. The recreation Director, as a part of the campground staff, will assist in the maintenance of recreation facilities and equipment.
Essential Job Duties: (these duties include, but are not limited to):
1. Prepare a projected income and expense budget for the entire year, including but not limited to supplies needed for programs, staffing needs, arts and crafts supplies, marketing give-aways, prizes
2. Prepare a daily recreation and activity program that utilizes all in park facilities to their maximum potential.
3. Daily recreational schedules should also encompass activities that would appeal to different age ranges and skill levels.
4. Design and conduct theme weeks/weekends The recreation director is responsible for issuing out all materials and decorating supplies that relate to the theme to the various departments (Ranger Station, Office, Snack Bar, Pavilions) for those staff persons to decorate their areas fully in the spirit of the theme.
5. Distribute recreation information with proper trademark on website, other advertising venues, handouts to staff and guests, as well as the park information/bulletin boards.
6. Create and maintain the illusion that Yogi Bear and friends are “real” ensuring all guests have a positive and entertaining experience during their stay.
a.Training for being in costume and a handler; ensuring that all Character antics are within acceptable guidelines.
b. Ensure that Characters make scheduled appearances a minimum of twice daily during the midweek and a minimum of three times daily on weekends and holidays. Off peak season as directed.
c. Ensure that character costumes are submitted for annual check up and refurbishing Keep character costumes maintained; including regular cleaning, brushing and appropriate storage.
7. Prepare and conduct an Arts and Crafts program with crafts in line with your theme.
8. Prepare and execute promotional methods to ensure maximum camper participation. Maintain and update all informational and activity boards through the resort on a regular (daily/weekly) basis to coincide with the theme.
9. Ensure recreation programs are as safe as possible and assist in any camper emergency within resort guidelines, Inspect and assist in the maintenance of recreation facilities and equipment
10. Communicate and Coordinate with General Manager all staffing requests to include advertising for positions, interviewing and hiring needed staff.
11. Interviewing, hiring, training and evaluating recreation team members Evaluating recreation activities and suggest changes and new activities
12. Must be available weekends and evenings
13. Attendance at weekly team meetings.
14. Supervising ___ team members. Supervising duties including but not limited to: scheduling, teaching skills needed to run activity/game, providing on going guest services training, evaluating performance, offering corrective teaching (re-training) when needed. When scheduling include all “working hours” for the Activity Department making sure they are staffed adequately. When a shortfall occurs; the Recreation Director is expected to fill the gaps in to create a seamless schedule.
Other Job Functions
May be awarded the opportunity to attend the annual Jellystone Park Symposium. May be awarded the opportunity to attend the annual CARE Conference May attend RV trade shows to promote the camp resort. May be asked to perform Leader on Duty tasks Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelors Degree preferred, High School Diploma or equivalent required. A minimum of one year experience conducting group activities preferred. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through both verbal and written venues Specific training and /or experience in recreation programming Current certifications in First Aid/CPR and AED or willingness to obtain upon hire Personable, enjoy working with children/people Possess excellent organization and project management skills, leadership skills as well as the ability to manage and complete multiple tasks simultaneously. Possess exceptional guest relations skills Weekend hours are required
This position is an extremely physically active position. Employee is regularly required to stand, walk and run. Must be able to stand for long periods of time, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, hop, skip and jump. Must be able to lift and move up to 50 pounds. This position also frequently includes assisting in promoting the image of the characters and the employee to dress in costumes, which are confining spaces and can be extremely hot. Employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions (hot and humid, rainy, extreme temperatures, airborne particles)
Clcik here for a lifeguard job description:Life Guard Job Description
Information for more information.